"For I was hungry & you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty & you gave me something to drink..."

Matthew 25:35

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Homemade Crunchwrap Supreme

if anyone tells you they don't like Taco Bell's Crunchwrap Supremes then they're lying to you. it's as simple as that- because those things are like crack.



now i like them. a lot. but the husband loves them. a lot lot. in fact, i think he considers himself a connoisseur of Crunchwrap Supremes.


anyway- since i can't justify going to Taco Bell ever, because i'm not an overworked & underpaid college student, i have to settle for my own creation.


and damn it's good. so good.


Homemade Crunchwrap Supreme (adapted from Full Bellies)

You Need:

large flour tortillas (burrito style)

1 lb ground beef (i use 93% because then i don't need to drain it)

1 package taco seasoning

bite size tortilla chips

sour cream

jarred queso style cheese

shredded cheese

shredded lettuce

diced tomatoes


Directions: Brown your ground beef & add the taco seasoning (according to package directions)


Microwave (1 @ a time because they tend to cool off pretty quickly) the flour for tortillas for about 10 seconds.


Working quickly- spread a dollop of sour cream in the center of the tortilla.


Top with a good amount of ground beef (i got 4 crunchwraps out of 1 lb)


Then add some shredded cheese


Next, layer on the tortilla chips (i used 6 or 7 bite sized rounds)


Plop on some queso style cheese sauce (i heated up in the microwave for a few seconds)


Toss on some diced tomatoes & shredded lettuce


Now get your pan ready- put a little butter in a large frying pan & turn on medium/low heat. Once it starts meting it's time to start wrapping your crunchwrap...

It's hard to explain how to wrap it, but you basically want it to look like the above picture. Basically, start at the bottom & work your way around.


You'll have an open spot on top- that's ok.

Now you want to gently place it folded side down in the pan:


let it cook for a few minutes (like 3 or so) until it's browned (don't give in to the temptation to flip it early because it'll fall apart...believe me, i know) & then flip it over:


cook for another 2-3 minutes & then slide it onto a plate:


give yourself a pat on the back or make sure no one's looking & do a wicked roundhouse kick. because you're about to put Taco Bell out of business.

ok, not really. because Taco Bell still has Chalupas- oh man, Chalupas.
Pin It!

11 comments:

Allison said...

This looks so awesome that I pinned it on Pinterest. Apparently other people thought it looked great, too, because I've had almost 20 repins already. Thanks!!

Kia Miakka Natisse said...

I love a wicked roadhouse kick of celebration. totally stealing it.

FlyAwayHome said...

OMG... I just found you thru Pinterest and so glad I did. I LOVE your site. I don't cook very well so I am always afraid to try new recipes, but you make it look so easy. I love that you put your "two cents worth" in at the end of each recipe, making changes and giving your opinion on what you think is best. Thanks for sharing. Again... great site!

Unknown said...

gracias ladies!

kylee said...

just made these for dinner tonight! soooo good. i switched the meat for chicken and loved it. thank you pinterest for leading me to your wonderful recipe!

Unknown said...

I tweaked it a bit....I used 12 Burrito size tortillas, took a crisp corn tortilla and placed it on top of 6 flour tortillas, one at a time and cut out rounds, the same size as the crisp corn tortillas. Lay down a warmed flour tortilla on the counter, top with burger mixture, queso cheese and a little shredded cheddar. Then placed a crisp corn tortilla on top, pressing down slightly. Spread sour cream on, add shredded lettuce and chopped tomato. Place smaller flout tortilla on top and fold over the edges of bottom burrito size tortilla. Then cook as directed. My daughter is a cruch supreme junkie and loved it! We all did! Plus you don't have mess of as much of the inside falling because it is completely cover.....just as they do at Taxo Bell!

livelaughlove said...

Yeah so I am so doing this tomorrow for me and my boyfriend♡ This looks amazing!
Thanks you (=

Unknown said...

I use round hard shells, beans meat lettuce, tomato, sour cream and cheese. They love them!

Dreampuff said...

Could you do a youtube showing how you fold it? :)

Unknown said...

Made these last night and YUMM!! Hot lots of toppings still, and I like chicken better than beef (plus the taco seasoning never fails to give me indigestion), so tonight I cooked some chicken in taco sauce and made one with the chicken mixture, and it was even better! We swapped the queso and the sour cream (having the sour cream in the middle) though, this way it doesn't heat up at all. I also found tostada shells and use those instead of chips, and it worked well with using a smaller soft tortilla and covering the insides as someone else said, though we just tore them in half and then cut of the ends.
It was a fantastic alternative to TB (i actually liked the chicken better than theirs), so much so that I'm going to make sure I always have the ingredients on hand and some taco cooked chicken in the freezer so I can do a quick dinner on busy nights.

Unknown said...

Made these tonight and they were really good. Kids all said its better than TB. Small issue I had though, the side with the tomato WAS crunchy when i pulled it off the pan but quickly got soggy :( Think next time I will put it between the the cheese and meat? and yes there will be a next time :D

Related Posts with Thumbnails